Saturday, November 15, 2008

Shiai!

This past Wednesday I travelled south to my home dojo for a brown belt shiai. It was all guys. It was intense! This was the first time I'd been back to the dojo since moving, and it was great to see everyone. I miss the family terribly. However, I did have two new students join my small karate family up here last week. They were very excited when class was over and couldn't wait to train again. That happens today. It was a wonderful experience for me, teaching. I train with one of them again today (along with my friend, Tanya). We'll just have to see where this leads...

Now for some shiai pictures:



Getting ready to spar. And spar they did, for 40 minutes!


Ray (go to his website for a photo collage of the entire shiai) and Tristan.

Hasso (of Deadbooks fame) and Brownie (he's Jamaican).



Harry (he was going for purple) and JR.

Here's a funny put together by my dear friend, Kitt (she got her brown belt at the last shiai).


You'll notice that both Sensei Bottomms (on the left) and Master Morallo (on the right) have their eyes closed while Ray is performing his kata.

It was an amazing shiai, full of energy and great form. Master Morallo was impressed.


On a final note, I don't know how many of you have seen this video, but it's priceless:


6 comments:

Noah said...

That video is awesome, even if it is a spare angle from the movie Never Back Down, and I have used it on several occasions to point out why "jumpy, flippy, spinning crap" is not part of Okinawan Karate. Glad you had fun at your Shiai, and congratulations on growing your karate family!

Mathieu said...

yes, congrats on your family!

keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you again at shiai, and congrats on your growing karate family. Nice to know there's another sattelite for the Mother Dojo, particularly with such a fine sensei.

somaserious said...

Noah: Thanks for stopping by! I had no idea that vid was from a movie...ha, ha on me...Yeah, I'm pretty excited about starting my own karate family.

Mathieu: thanks to you, too.

Hi kitt!!! You blogger genius, you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise it was from a film either, but loved it anyway.

Steve said...

I was just coming to ask if that was from a movie or not. I'll have to see if I can find it on youtube from the "other" angle. It looked real enough I had to watch it several times!